atw: Re: Windows-free at last.

  • From: "Ian Gabriel" <ian.gabriel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 11:46:26 +1100

Hi Austecchies,

Getting back to the technical aspects of this subject. I've just blown Ubuntu
Linux off my machine. I bought a cheap Netbook for travelling and it had Ubuntu
Linux. I thought that this would be okay because I have some Unix experience.

However it all went downhill when I wanted some system security and virus
protection. There are no commercial products for this and the self-loving Linux
people on the forums claim that such things are unnecessary. According to them
people write viruses because they hate Bill Gates! Therefore Linux is pure and
innocent. It's true that a virus cannot affect the system settings because you
have to use a password to change these things. So Linux is safe, but my
personal data was freely available. I tried to install the "freeware" virus
checkers and firewalls without any success and, believe me, after many hours of
trying.

I have decided that Linux is more about the journey than the destination. Some
of the readme files on these tools regale you with the excitement of
incompatibilities that you can spend many happy hours resolving. Aaaargh.

The final straw was trying to install the Vodafone broadband internet stick.
That probably had the longest readme file and the worst potential consequences.
Needless to say, I never got that to work.

A few weeks ago I installed the (temporarily) free Windows 7 pre-release
client. It was the easiest and quickest operating system installation system I
have ever performed. It runs very fast on the small netbook. I think that it
also boots up quicker than Ubuntu, but I can't measure that now. Even the
Vodafone thing worked immediately.

For me, the price of the free Linux experience was far too high. I acknowledged
at the beginning that I would have to adopt the role of system administrator
and troubleshooter. Somewhere along the way I never got to be a normal user.

Oops stand by for the Micky backlash!

Ian Gabriel