atw: Re: Statistics to demonstrate value ...

  • From: "Christine Kent" <cmkentau@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 16:10:20 +1100

This is a Sales organisation and the technical documentation that
is produced is sent as part of a vendor solution.  It needs to be
of high quality.

Ah, Suzy, so one of my premises was not true.  From what you have said, you
are talking about sales proposals going out to customers of your products.
Does your organisation have an editor?  I would be surprised that any
organisation would allow documents to go out externally to potential
customers without thorough review.  Who reviews them?  I would think your
marketing department would have something to say about this.

If this IS the case, and following through on Warren's idea, let some bad
proposals through, then tee up some of the engineers to ask for you back
when the sales are lost.  However, you will have to be able to demonstrate
that sales are lost, and in my experience of buying products this way, bad
proposals don't make a huge  difference.  No-one expects to really
understand the proposal - they just skim it for key points.  All sorts of
other prejudices come into play long before the quality of the document,
such as price, functionality, contract conditions, how good the presentation
is, and how sexy the sales person is. (Oh, there you go again Christine,
Janice will slap you again.  She thinks you don't have "professional pride".
She thinks you are slack. Ah well.  ;-))

Christine