atw: Re: Statistics to demonstrate value ...

  • From: "Lewington, Warren J (WT)" <warren.lewington.ext@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:06:41 -0400

Suzy, you are asking the wrong people and I think you may be approaching
the angle incorrectly. The finance manager has asked "whether there is a
productivity benefit in your services to his bonus?"

Your answers and your defence needs to come from the people who benefit
from your services directly - the engineers and (probably more
importantly - the proposals and sales people). If they don't come into
bat for you, no external statistics are going to help you. Our services
are not directly tangible, and quality is never on the list of DOFs
KPIs. If you can get amabassadors in the target groups you work for,
then you will have some input there.

And this is a positive situation for you. You should have been tracking
in some kind of journal the tasks that you have performed that others
didn't. This quantifies a cost benefit analysis. Once you have
ascertained what you did for others - get them to try and quantify the
results they would have produced (in time) at the same quality output.
Your results should show absolute answers reflecting "NO I COULDN'T"
naturally. Remember (as I was reminded last week) a page of
documentation takes about 5.5 hours (an international standard). If you
can show you are creating pages well under that - where others can't,
then you have a compelling argument against economic rationalism. If you
are servicing 100 engineers, then my word, you are providing value to
your client. The survey you send out should be asking whether they could
do without you... And your answers should reflect NO WE CAN'T and don't
touch her or else... Furthermore, you should also be asking where else
you can help them, giving you a chance to make a plan for further
activity, and a resource plan to show the improvements to process and
underlying profitability you will make by implementing them - see the
positive here!

Not easy but it can be done by anyone - I know I have and still do it.
My most famous example was where an engineering manager was trying to
get me out, but I walked out of the meeting with two extra resources,
three months more work and a redundancy at the end of that. What a coup
that was.

A management paradigm is if you can't measure it you can't manage it.
Australian ones are generally lazy too. So if you give them your own
measurement metrics, then you have the power - even when they think they
have it. Go and buy "Yes Minister" DVDs for some further training in
this. That is all the knowledge you need to up-manage this type of
problem. DOFs have power, and will generally, if they have a target in
mind, get their way; it's a 'jolly' thing for them and they are often a
bit sociopathic about it. Rarely found really good ones who can see a
benefit from your measurement metrics will find resources to help. At
the end of the day, we are always targeted this way. Get over it and
prepare your resume - always be looking for the next step up - do unto
them before they do unto you...

Regards,
Warren