atw: Re: OT: Grumbling About Elections... vote [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • From: Peter.Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:50:46 +1000

> incapable of understanding the nature and significance of enrolment and
voting ..

Pause for a touch of cynicism, but those "ands" there could provide a
legal excuse for 90+% of the population....

If you actually understand voting in a democracy, you understand that the
people you elect who you generally profess to despise are only there
because you or others like you elected them. You understand that democracy
works:  when you vote, you generally get a collection of people who are a
cross section of the population that voted them into power -- a mixture of
smarties, dummies, average ability people, crooks, saints, small-time
sinners.   That is, they're Just Like You.

"Australian hatred of politicians is a form of self-hatred enhanced by a
system of compulsory voting. Discuss."

Should be a reasonable basis for a stir ?   But ok, we're really way out
into O.T. territory here.

Peter M

From:   Neil Maloney <maloneyn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To:     austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   21/08/2012 09:35 AM
Subject:        atw: Re: OT: Grumbling About Elections... vote
Sent by:        austechwriter-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 20/08/2012 10:26 PM, Anne Casey wrote:
> The only way you can get out of voting is basically if you've got
> dementia, a low IQ, or something else that impairs your thinking - I
> can't remember the exact phrase, but it's along the lines of not
> understanding the meaning and importance of voting. I'd have to get
> out my copy of the Act, if you're really interested.

"(8) A person who:
(a) by reason of being of unsound mind, is incapable of understanding
the nature and significance of enrolment and voting ..."

(Refer to Section 93 of the Commonwealth Electoral Act 1918.)

For a plain language summary, see:
http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Publications/backgrounders/files/2010-eb-compulsory-voting.pdf

Neil.

This message contains privileged and confidential information only
for use by the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, you must not disseminate, copy or use
it in any manner.  If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply e-mail.  Please ensure all
e-mail attachments are scanned for viruses prior to opening or
using.