atw: Re: Lessons learnt or Lessons learned?

  • From: Ilana Cohney <idcohney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:40:07 +1100

Rod,
You are correct. This document is one of the final project closeout documents I have to complete. The Project Management Office have a number of project template documents that we have to complete - one of them is titled "Lessons Learnt". I did not think this is correct, so decided to verify it with the "experts". Now, I will have to put in a project variation form to suggest this template is renamed "Lessons Learned" - don't we all love company processes.
Thank you all for your help.
Ilana

Rod Stuart wrote:

The term "lessons learned", or in the Southern Hemoisphere "lessons learnt" is global project managment terminology. It refers to one of the outputs of project closeout process group, and entails a project team workshop in which we list all of the things we did this time that we want to be sure to do on the next project, as well as all of those things which we did do and vow not to do the next time. The deliverable of this workshop is an organisational process asset we entitle "Lessons Learned". (or learnt as the case may be). Ideally, in progressive organisations intent of delivering continuous improvement, the information from teh workshop gets collated and process in a relational database for easy future access. The process very much resembles that process in Judochristian theology called "Confession".

On 12/12/2007, *Brian A Clarke* <brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Ilana,
    I'm interested to discover who is writing this document and what
    relation
    this writer has to those who are alleged to have learned. I have
    found this
    construction 'Lessons learnt' used mostly by teachers as some kind of
    surrogate for not having checked what pupils did actually learn,
    ie, it's a
    description of what the teacher hoped got across. For such cases,
    the better
    construction would be 'teaching objectives' [the teacher's aims] or
    'learning outcomes' [what the teacher hopes the learners will get].
    Quite apart from whether a word is Old English or Middle English, a
    different aim may be to use the fewest letters to convey a meaning
    clearly.
    But the superior goal would be to use the language of the audience
    - based
    on a recent, accurate user analysis that sits beside your keyboard.
    Brian.

    the Subject field.

    To unsubscribe, send a message to
    austechwriter-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx