atw: Re: Is it April First or did I miss something?

  • From: "HALL Bill" <Bill.HALL@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:50:33 +1000 (EST)

Career paths for techwriters:

documentation management
customer support management
marketing management

GUI design
product design
project management

document analysis    systems analysis  process design  systems design
content management
knowledge management

etc.

My career in techwriting has followed both branches (simultaneously) of
the bottom path - to the point where much of what I do would be
classified as KM process and systems design, and almost all of my
writing is either for internal customers or publication.

Guide and develop your own career - don't expect it to be handed to you
on a silver platter. Techwriting can put you in the centre of the
organisation's cognitive processes. You are initially paid to document
how things work, which puts you in the ideal situation to learn how they
work - which is information you should be able to feed back into your
career. Take the nasty jobs that may lead in the direction where you
want to make your career grow. Your writing skills will always serve you
in good stead as you grow your career beyond the technical writing core.

Bill Hall

Documentation Systems Analyst
Head Office, Engineering
Tenix Defence
Williamstown, Vic. 3016
Phone: 03 9244 4820
Email:bill.hall@xxxxxxxxx

Honorary Research Fellow
Knowledge Management Lab
School of Information Management & Systems
Monash University
Caulfield East, Vic. 3145
=20

|=20
|=20
| > Surely they must be after a real junior, fresh out of school, with
| > Web skills and enthusiasm.
|=20
| Not exactly. The requirements are as follows.
|=20
|   In order to be considered it is essential you meet the following=20
| requirements:
|=20
|       *       A minimum of 1 years experience as a Web Content Editor
|       *       A minimum of 1 years experience with document authoring
|       *       Basic knowledge of HTML
|       *       A sound knowledge of accessibility, usability,=20
| metadata etc
|       *       Exposure to a marketing environment would be a=20
| significant advantage
|=20
| This looks like a two-years-experience job.
|=20
| > Hyperlink please?
|=20
| Seek site - http://www.seek.com.au, Brisbane, Technical Writers.
|=20
| > I mean, which career would you rather start?
| > Checkout chick?
| > or
| > Web Content Editor?
| >
| > Please tick.
|=20
| I know this was a rhetorical flourish, but it merits a little serious=20
| attention. A checkout chick (or rooster) does indeed have a career=20
| path: department manager, store manager, area manager, etc. Many have=20
| climbed this ladder, and carved out careers in retailing.
|=20
| Where do web content editors go? For that matter, where do technical=20
| writers go? If you are looking for a promotion or advancement, what=20
| sort of jobs do technical writers apply for? Do we have career paths?=20
| Did we ever?
|=20
| James Hunt
|=20
| Subject field.
|=20
| To search the austechwriter archives, go to=20
| www.freelists.org/archives/austechwriter
|=20