atw: Re: Is it April First or did I miss something?

  • From: James Hunt <jameshunt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 12:30:59 +1000

> Surely they must be after a real junior, fresh out of school, with
> Web skills and enthusiasm.

Not exactly. The requirements are as follows.

  In order to be considered it is essential you meet the following
requirements:

        ?       A minimum of 1 years experience as a Web Content Editor
        ?       A minimum of 1 years experience with document authoring
        ?       Basic knowledge of HTML
        ?       A sound knowledge of accessibility, usability, metadata etc
        ?       Exposure to a marketing environment would be a significant
advantage

This looks like a two-years-experience job.

Seek site - http://www.seek.com.au, Brisbane, Technical Writers.

> I mean, which career would you rather start?
> Checkout chick?
> or
> Web Content Editor?
>
> Please tick.

I know this was a rhetorical flourish, but it merits a little serious
attention. A checkout chick (or rooster) does indeed have a career
path: department manager, store manager, area manager, etc. Many have
climbed this ladder, and carved out careers in retailing.

Where do web content editors go? For that matter, where do technical
writers go? If you are looking for a promotion or advancement, what
sort of jobs do technical writers apply for? Do we have career paths?
Did we ever?

James Hunt