atw: Re: Is it April First or did I miss something?

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:31:38 +1000

Oh dear James (Hunt).

...and thanks for the extra info plus the link to get to the ad in questi=
on,
which puts things in context.  The direct URL for the ad is:
<http://it.seek.com.au/users/viewdetails.asp?Action=3Djobsearch&JobListAc=
tion=3DViewOneAd&JobSearch=3Dtrue&AdID=3D3674704>

Here we have a "contract" the prevents an unscrupulous "employer"
from paying their dues in payroll tax, work cover, super, holiday and
sick leave, then top it off with a subsistence wage.

Plus being a long term, presumably turn-up-every-day assignment=20
that really qualifies as a full time position, they leave the poor sod
of a contractor in the lurch, making it impossible to comply with the
80/20 rule and forcing them into getting an ABN, then making an
arrangement with the contractor management company (usually the
agency promoting the role, which is skimming the cream off the top
from the work provider client and the "employee"), making the
recruiter the employer and getting around departmental size limits.

Have seen it all before.

Worst of all, the work provider client, which should know and act
better is ostensibly "a government organisation" that is turning
a blind eye to such reprehensible employment practices.

It's an absolute disgrace.

Worth a call to the ATO Tax Evasion Hotline
Phone free call: 1800 060 062 8am till 6pm weekdays (not including
national public holidays) or see:
<http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/pathway.asp?pc=3D001/001/008>

Point of order: if we are taking the word chick to be short for a
domestic fowl rather than as a young human female, chick then refers to
a non-sexual description for the child form of that bird.  A rooster is
an adult male domestic fowl.  Or did I reply to Auschickensexer?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
Technical Communicator
Without Prejudice. E&OE. Private & Confidential.