atw: Re: Blogging and employers

  • From: "Deborah Cross" <Deborah.Cross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:27:46 +1000

Checked for you on Twitter before I replied - I think it is already here
and you've missed it :P

Depends on the industry and outputs of the role of course, but if you're
employing someone to edit content intended for the web their experience
with doing this is relevant, which includes blogging and tweeting. The
employer is obviously looking for someone web savvy and actively
participating online in a community. Which isn't a requirement of all
jobs I imagine.

What is upsetting to me is that the employer doesn't think technical
writers have the web skills they need. This could be a misconception on
their part, or it could be the impression left by previous applicants
and interactions with technical writers.

  _____