atw: Re: Blogging and employers

  • From: "Geoffrey Marnell" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 07:49:51 +1000

But the point is, Matthew, you gave us nothing more than a quotation from "a
researcher". No name, no qualifications, no reference to any peer-reviewed
publication. For all we knew, you could have been quoting a wheat farmer
from the Wimmera who does a spot of market research on a Saturday afternoon
at the Quambatook Sale Yards ... and for all we now know you are quoting
someone who apparently has a doctorate and does research of some kind. Maybe
what she said is true, but it helps no one assess the quality of what she
has said if we are given no clues about the quality of her research.

As for the quality of the doctor's language, you did her no favours by
quoting her in full when a judicious ellipsis could, without robbing the
meaning, have hidden the infelicities. While clarity of writing (and speech)
doesn't necessarily indicate clarity of mind, muddled writing (and speech)
certainly does suggest a muddled mind. And muddled it certainly was.

It pays to sift the knowledge from all the so-called information flooding
through cyberspace.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell
Principal Consultant