atw: Re: Accreditation

  • From: "Michael Granat" <mgranat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:56:52 +1000

Well Bill (H)

I have no qualms with what you are saying about needing some additional
training to get up to speed with certain methodologies and tools, but
I always thought that working to any standard (of which all the
details are physically impossible to remember in any case) simply
involves plonking the standard on one's desk and following it.

For example, AS/NZS 4258:1994, the Software user documentation
process standard.

Open the standard, follow the steps, verify that your work complies.

Why the need to be trained or certified for it, when most standards
are written to follow / comply as you go?

Surely it is all about making the appropriate standard available to the
technical authors concerned, then having those authors, the team
leader / documentation approvers verify compliance.

I don't see a problem here or any need for special training.

But them maybe, as I am unfamiliar with the defence standards of
which you write, some of these require special familiarization
training within those standards to ensure compliance.

Please enlighten us some more about this, if you have a moment to do so.
(Or off-list to me direct if you prefer.)

I'd be most interested to know why any special training would be
required to comply with any written standard, which are usually
designed to be followed as a step by step compliance process.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael E. Granat
T/as Write Ideas