[AR] Re: thinking big once more

  • From: Dave McMillan <skyefire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 17:53:31 -0400

On 9/28/2016 4:51 PM, Jonathan Goff wrote:

Henry,
I also wonder about the probability of unsurvivable engine failures with Raptor. At 3x the chamber pressure, and 5-6x the peak pump outlet pressure of a Merlin-1D while being in the same general package, we're likely talking about a 3-6x increase in worst case P*V energy available to do antisocial things. Not sure if that means anything, but it at least suggests to me that anti-fraticide protections might be more challenging and heavier for Raptor.

But how does that compare to the potential RUD energy release of engines 4-5 times larger than the F1 (which, IIRC, is roughly what it would take to replace ~42 Raptors with 5-6 of the bigger engines?)

Since the rule of thumb (IIRC) is that the 1st stage is the least sensitive to dry mass increases (I know, that's not the same as "insensitive"), and recalling all the discussions of Big Dumb Boosters (aka Minimum Cost Design) years ago, what's the trade between putting a reasonable (for the most likely violent failure scenarios) amount of "armor" between lots of adjoining small engines and and a smaller number of adjoining big engines?

Or maybe SpaceX will get it working without an hitch, who knows.

"Without a hitch" seems very unlikely. "Get it working well eventually" seems reasonably probable, assuming no seriously disastrous/expensive incidents along the way.