[AR] Re: SpaceX

  • From: qbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:48:21 -0600

There are 2 problems with the sound and using it as a definitive source for what happened
.
- the recording is per say monaural even though the they are using stereo mics the record is wave for wave 97% monaural. ( have contacted them for details on recording)
- we know the relative distance from the pad the camera was but unless it was a highly directional set of mics we have no clue as to where the 3 sounds originated from. Even then at that distance the cone would be wide.

However my gut feeling is that these three sounds are part of the event.

Robert

At 11:03 AM 9/12/2016, you wrote:

Bear in mind, that by shifting the audio to match at the pad, sounds near the camera occur before their causes. I was impressed that there were no verbal exclamations by the camera operator, but the clicks and musical sound* in the 1:00 to 1:06 could have been caused by the cameraman, and have no connection to the pad. The "cymbal clap" at 1:09 sounds like birdsong to me.

* that musical sound reminds me of a radio mike key sound that some family service radios make.

Doug JonesOn 9/10/2016 8:47 AM, Thom Vincent wrote:
For anyone interested ...

I edited a copy of the USLR video, synced the audio, increased audio by 10 dB, added outlines for fireball + rocket, and added zoom insets. Background sounds that Elon mentioned are audible ...

1:00 : faint clicking sound, continues thru explosion
1:05 : musical sound
1:06 : clunk sound
1:07 : click sound
1:09 : symbol clap sound
1:11 : explosion

+ time-lag for sound to arrive ~ 12.07 seconds.
+ approx. distance from rocket ~ 2.55 miles or 4.1 km

<https://twitter.com/Sworkeld/status/774629087738531841>https://twitter.com/Sworkeld/status/774629087738531841

FWIW,
Thom

On Sat, Sep 10, 2016 at 3:48 AM, George William Herbert <<mailto:george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: