[AR] Re: 500,000 tons

  • From: Ben Brockert <wikkit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 17:18:33 -0600

That's interesting, can you do 150kft at the MTA, or is this a Black
Rock project? How high do you expect it to go with the dummy stage?
Any cameras or other payloads?

I've gotten a lot more into microcontrollers over the last year, some
relevant (rocket avionics) and some less so (brains of a 3'x6'
"Operation" game). I've also been putting some effort into 3D printed
liquid engines, which I'm fascinated by; I wish the southern
California student group that has test fired one at FAR and helped by
list members would post some details on it.

I visited two new-to-amateurs possible space launch sites in day
driving distance of Denver, and had extended discussions with the FAA
on the first one. The second one has more difficult airspace but quite
appealing launch altitude and population density. I've also been out
to the possible Spaceport Colorado a few times, and they said they
expect to have a new director soon. I may have managed to convince
them that having a rocket static testing area would be more likely to
get used than the ability to do suborbital point to point.

I also blew up my shop's shared CNC mill last week. The brake came
loose internally during a run and took out one of the conical plates
of the variable speed drive. In the smallest of victories, I was in
the process of machining part 6 out of 4, so at least I could finish
the project with one spare.

At the Denver Mini Maker Faire over the weekend, the Denver Science
Museum had a fantastic rocketry outreach project for kids. They'd make
a construction paper rocket with a film canister in the base, then
mount it on the launcher which was some plumbing pumped to 60psi with
a bicycle pump (by the kid if they were large enough).

A solenoid valve powered by a cordless drill battery (and activated by
a big red red arcade button) would launch the rocket. Launching at a
45 degree angle they were getting distances of a hundred feet on the
good ones. All the rocketry lessons of stability and aerodynamics were
there.

We did a similar thing at Iowa State, using alka seltzer and water in
the film canisters to make carbon dioxide and launch the rockets
upward. But the air system was so much cleaner and more powerful. I'm
going to post some pics of it, and probably try to convince some SEDS
chapters to build some for outreach.

Ben