[AR] Re: 500,000 tons

  • From: Ian Woollard <ian.woollard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 16:43:20 +0100

The other thing that has possible relevance is the Megaflow Battery which
is looking like it could have some legs. It's about $27/kWh of capacity,
and they've run it a hundred cycles with no apparent degradation. If it
will hit a thousand cycles, that's a net cost of $0.027/kWh in use, and it
may go 10000 cycles for all anyone knows, no one has even tried more than a
hundred yet.

In principle you could pretty much run the whole planet off wind power (and
some solar) alongside this battery; if it works out as well as it is
currently looking. It's still very early days.

Wind power is still a lot cheaper than solar, and may well be for the
foreseeable future, barring a breakthrough. Both are still getting cheaper
as well.

--
-Ian Woollard