[AR] Re: 500,000 tons

  • From: Lars Osborne <lars.osborne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 15:33:28 -0700

Yeah, But are you really satisfied with 500,000 tons to orbit per year? We
will never be able to build a Dyson sphere at that rate, and bring us to a
type II civilization.

No - we need to be launching 500,000,000 tons to orbit per year, as that's
the only way we can start dis-assembling mercury and venus to make the
dyson sphere. The Chinese, the russians, they have performed *studies* and
if we don't get one this right now they could beat us to it. Of course, any
small scale demonstration of this would be a complete failure. That is why
we need to go all in. I can kickstart this with Lasers, skylons, space
elevators and electromagnetic rail guns. We just need 100 Trillion dollars
to get it off the ground, and then it can slowly begin to start paying for
itself, assuming that we never have any maintenance issues with the
collectors.

How could laser skylons possibly launch once every second? It just isn't
enough.

We just need to first start by building enough power satellites to power
the world (about a million GW worth). I suggest we launch all of these on
conventional rockets for speed so we don't need to wait on skylon's
development timeline.

Then we throw them all together in a cluster and use it as an anchor for a
space elevator. The one power sat that wasn't destroyed in the crunch can
power the elevator.

Then we just build elevators everywhere along the equator, maybe some ones
from the poles too (might need some engineering development here).

Once we have that system in place we can begin using all of the elevators
at the same time to lift 500,000,000 tons into orbit per year. And if life
isn't about getting 500,000,000 tons to orbit per year, I might as well
open the airlock right now.

Thanks,
Lars Osborne