[argyllcms] Re: RGB Printer profiling and ColorSavvy CM2C

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 11:59:45 +1000

Alastair M. Robinson wrote:

Source profile is sRGB.

As a source profile for the gamut calculations I used USWebCoatedSWOP. For a profile that's primarily intended for printing RGB photos to an RGB printer is this a good choice, or would an RGB space with a wider gamut be better?

That doesn't sound right. If your source material is in sRGB, then the gamut you give to profile should be sRGB. You would only use USWebCoatedSWOP as a source gamut if your images are in USWebCoatedSWOP colorspace, and therefore USWebCoatedSWOP is your source profile, not sRGB.

Viewing conditions... well I certainly don't have access to a D50 viewing booth! I've viewed the print under bright (but admittedly fluorescent) room lighting, and daylight. The print looks rather good - both hue and saturation are excellent overall - it's just a bit darker than it should be. Like I said, Colour Confidence Print Profiler's profile exhibits the same behaviour, but Profile Prism's doesn't - at least not to the same extent. I'm going to do another Argyll profile with different print settings, and when I've done that, I'll stick a testcard in my webspace, transformed with all three profiles, and post the URLs here...

The pre-canned viewing conditions are fairly generic, and it's just a matter of using something appropriate. If your source space is sRGB, then your source viewing condition should be appropriate (ie. "Monitor in typical work environment" or "Monitor in darkened work environment"), and if your output is a print, then specify an appropriate destination viewing environment (ie. "Practical Reflection Print"). If you have a bright viewing booth, then "Print evaluation environment" might be better.

BTW - how do the problems caused by fluorescent whitening agents generally manifest themselves?

As a color tint (either warmer or cooler), and a mismatch of white points. Such effects are generally only noticeable in proofing situations, where the original and it's reproduction (proof) are examined side by side, and expected to match exactly. For a photo or monitor to print conversion (where you are after a pleasing result), FWA effects are not likely to be such an issue, since one expects a substantial white point shift due to the differences in the colorspaces. (Such a shift is in fact desirable, in making the best use of the full gamut of the output media.)