[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:00:39 +1100

Karljohan Lundin Palmerius wrote:
Wouldn't applying a LUT shrink the gamut of the display? In that case
first you use the monitor calibration which shrinks the gamut and then
you use the shrunk gamut to create a profile/LUT that further shrinks
the gamut. Excuse me if I'm not making sense, because I'm fairly new
to colour management.

Generally no, because the range of each colorant is not affected
by calibration. What is being talked about here is the quantisation
of each colorant value, due to finite precision of a LUT.

The internal calibration/controls of a monitor may have higher
precision than curves implemented in the video card.

Internal controls have also been known to behave very badly, and
wreck the gamut of a display.

(And please don't confuse calibration using 1D LUTS and characterisation
 using profiles. See <http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/calvschar.html> if
 you are unclear.)