[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: Steffen <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:04:03 +0100

Am 23.03.2010 16:53, schrieb Adrian Mariano:
> On 3/23/2010 11:45 AM, Pascal de Bruijn wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM, Adrian Mariano<adrian@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>
>>> So you mean setting the RGB channels to equal values as reported by the
>>> display (e.g. all of them are set to "80") as opposed to setting the RGB
>>> values to achieve a target white point?
>>>
>> Yes... Why would you do that?
>>
>> Why have the display digitally correct the whitepoint, and then load a
>> VideoLUT to correct it some more...
>>
>> It seems logical to me to have the correction in one place... But
>> maybe I'm mistaken...
>>

> If you had a continuous control of R, G, and B, as I believe you may on
> a CRT, then adjusting these channels on the monitor could improve your
> calibration because it's not limited by bit depth.  I can imagine some
> kind of display with a 3 color backlight that could also behave this way
> (though I don't know if such a thing exists).
>
> In any case, I didn't know there were monitors that had for the factory
> default unequal settings on the RGB channels.  I had read that you
> should assume the factory default is the minimally adjusted
> configuration, adjust only the brightness as desired, and then proceed
> from there.  When you said that RGB should be adjusted to be equal, I
> assumed that must mean to change the white point---perhaps to remove
> some bad color cast---since I assumed that equal values was the starting
> configuration.

There are indeed monitors with unequal RGB gain values from factory,
like the Eizo S2433. Whatever works best, I suppose.

And there is a distinct advantage when working with the gain controls on
the monitor to achieve a starting point as close to the target as
possible. Most of the higher grade monitors have a 10 bit deep LUT. That
means, that unlike the 8 bit available through ordinary LUTs for the
software correction on the graphics card, changing values in the display
won't "throw away" as much information as a correction on the software
side would. I hope this is what the discussion was about, if not, I
apologize for my lazy reading habits ;-).

Cheers,
Steffen