[argyllcms] Re: Monitor calibration

  • From: Karljohan Lundin Palmerius <karljohan.palmerius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 10:19:31 +0100

>> Anyway correcting in two places in theory degrades more, no matter how
>> many bit the LUTs are...
>
> And in general terms, I would agree with your assessment. But not
> necessarily this time: if you calibrate based solely on software
> correction, especially if the deviation from the target is big, your
> results WILL definatelly be worse. Because if you correct in hardware
> first, 10 bits result in 1024 steps, compared to the 256 available steps
> at 8 bit. So, you have more room to operate in without touching the last
> 8 bit your graphics card will send to your display.
>
> I think this is definatelly preferable.

Wouldn't applying a LUT shrink the gamut of the display? In that case
first you use the monitor calibration which shrinks the gamut and then
you use the shrunk gamut to create a profile/LUT that further shrinks
the gamut. Excuse me if I'm not making sense, because I'm fairly new
to colour management.

/ KJ