[argyllcms] Contrast vs Brightness on my LCD monitor and related questions

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 11:10:51 -0600

I have a Samsung 226CW LCD monitor which I'm trying to calibrate using
argylkl version 1.03.  (Last year I managed to do it with version 0.8,
but I can't remember what I did, and the monitor is much to dim with the
old settings.)

There are controls for Brightness and Contrast.  I am trying to figure
out just what they are doing.   Does either set the light level from the
light source?  Or do both just manipulate the monitor's internal LUT?

dispcal -v -o -yl ..., white level (option 3) tells me to set LCD
brightness, but either of them changes what is reported as the white
level in cd/m^2.  If I use Brightness to set the white level, what
should I use contrast for?

Aside from someone just knowing the answer, is there some way I can use
the argyll programs to investigate the matter.

Also, remind me which of the options under dispcal it makes sense to
adjust.  I have color controls, so I can use either option 2 or 4, but
it wouldn't make sense to do both, since there is only one set of
controls.  If I remember correctly, I can only use option 4 if there are
separate monitor controls for setting the black point.

I once thought I understood all this, but this time it doesn't seem to
be working properly.

I know that previously under Fedora 7,  I couldn't set X to store the
monitor profile, but it may be possible now.  Any hints about how to
investigate that.
--
Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Mathematics Department, Northwestern University