[argyllcms] Re: Contrast vs Brightness on my LCD monitor and related questions

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:36:58 -0600

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 08:59 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
> Leonard Evens wrote:
> > But I'm not sure at this point whether or not I should be using the
> > ambient light measurement at all.  When I calibrated/profiled this same
> > monitor last year---I thought successfully---with version 0.8, there was
> > no ambient light option.
>
> That's really up to you. It won't make much difference to the
> profiling, but it may make a difference to applications that
> are not color managed (video replay ?), where the visual
> result should probably take account of the viewing conditions.
>
> > On another point, whatever I do, I always get a message like
> > Failed to meet target 0.600000 delta E, got worst case 0.607690
> > with different worst cases.
> > Does this mean anything?
>
> It means that it's (just) failing to pull the response curve to the target.
>
> > As I said, it does if I don't use the ambient light option.  According
> > to the `Amazing Gamma Applet', gamma seems to be between 2.1 and 2.4.
>
> Since it probably measures gamma differently, I wouldn't expect great
> agreement.
>
> Graeme Gill.

I tried using dispcal -v -o ... using my Eye-One Pro instead of the
Eye-One LT---I bought the LT first and then decided I needed the second
for profiling my printer.   I used a slightly different set of
parameters and monitor settings, but the Eye-One Pro seems to do a
better job.  I now have a calibration/profile that looks more
reasonable, but I think there is still room for improvement.   I could
try the more extende approach described in the documentation, but if I
understand, it shouldn't make much difference vis-a-vis the calibration
LUT which will be loaded in the video card.  Am I right about that?