[argyllcms] Re: Contrast vs Brightness on my LCD monitor and related questions

  • From: Leonard Evens <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:43:56 -0600

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 23:23 +0100, Peter Karp wrote:
> Hi Leonard,
>
> > I still feel I am having difficulties because I don't understand hwo
> > to use Brightness and Contrast in the monitor controls.
>
> For a TFT it's mostly easy. Reet the contrast setting to the default
> value and never touch it again. This setting is totally nonsense and I
> still wonder what the engineers/companies are thinking when they use
> it on a flat screen display. Contrast setting on a CRT was a whole
> different story (setting the gain).

One thing that still puzzles me is just which of the 8 options I should
choose when using dispcal -v -o ...    I can use Brightness to set the
white level (option 3, I think), but what about black level (option 1).
I've been using various combinations of Contrast and Brightness to set
options 1 and 3.  Should I just ignore option 1?  The default settings
are Brightness 100, Contrast 75, but then when I shift to Custom mode,
the Contrast level drops to something lower, 60, I believe.  In any
case, the default luminance level is (visually) much to high.   I think
I prefer something in the range 100-120 cd/m^2.