[argyllcms] Re: Contrast vs Brightness on my LCD monitor and related questions

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:01:54 +1100

Hal V. Engel wrote:

of the actual gamma of a device. This might not give better results for devices that are well behaved (like most CRTs) but might do better for devices that are not as well behaved (like some LCDs). I have not looked at the code in this function to see what algorithm it uses.

One of the problems is that the definition of "better" is in the
eyes of the beholder.

A value that is closer to the curve exponent may be regarded
as better in a mathematical sense, but its correlation with
the actual transfer curve visual effect is much more subject to
the details of what's happening near black (ie., what the
offset is and how it is modelled).

This is one of the factors that is probably at the heart
of the "what's the natural gamma of a CRT ?" controversy.