[argyllcms] Re: Colormunki Windows Driver

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 17:17:20 +1100

Bruce Houston wrote:
I believe that the ColorMunki.inf file needs a tweak or two.  First, the
Signature line of the Version section reads "$Chicago$" and causes the
driver installation to fail in Win7 x64 with the message "this driver is for
a different platform" (or the like).  Changing this parameter to "$Windows
NT$" gets rid of this error and allows the driver to install.

Hmm. Microsoft's on-line doco still says that "$Chicago$" should work !

After installation, however, the following three driver components show up
in Device Manager under "LibUSB-Win32 Devices"-->"ColorMunki (Argyll)":

c:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys
c:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll
c:\Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll

Right, but if you check the sizes you will see that
c:\Windows\system32\drivers\libusb0.sys
c:\Windows\system32\libusb0.dll
are the 64 bit drivers (they get re-named during the installation)
while c:\Windows\syswow64\libusb0.dll is the 32 bit driver.

So it's been successfully installed.

Also, Plug-N-Play re-installs the X-rite ColorMunki driver ever time that
the device is plugged into USB, notwithstanding that I specify "delete
driver files" when uninstalling the X-rite driver.  Perhaps that behaviour
would stop if I can get the Argyll x64 driver correctly installed.  I am not
sure about that, though, because the Argyll driver shows up under a
different category of devices in Device Manager ("LibUSB" vs. "X-rite").
Thus, I am not sure whether Windows can recognize that it is installing and
making active a second driver for the same device.

Sorry about that, it's not obvious but there is a trick, and my current Vista
instructions miss it. After allowing the X-Rite drivers to install again:

  After choosing "Update Driver" on the ColorMunki device,
  In the next screen, select the "Browse my computer for driver software"
button.
>>On the next screen choose "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my
computer"
  On the next screen choose "Have Disk..."
  On the next screen "Install From Disk" use the brows dialog to locate the
directory
  argyll\libusbw below where you installed Argyll. Click "next".
  The screen should change to "Installing driver software...", and a
  "Windows Security" window should pop up. If you've done the F8 or
  Self Signing trick you should be able to install the driver.

You can switch backwards and forwards after the "Let me Pick from a list of
device
drivers on my computer" by picking either the X-Rite or Argyll drivers from the
menu once they are both installed.

(To fully remove the X-Rite drivers you have to manually delete the .inf
from C:\Windows\System32 and the .sys from C:\Windows\System32\drivers).