[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:34:15 +0100 (CET)

Am 13.01.08, 21:46 +0100 schrieb Frédéric Crozat:
> On Jan 13, 2008 9:20 PM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > Am 12.01.08, 14:14 +0100 schrieb Frédéric Crozat:

> > > No.  applying LUT and a X atom is not something worth adding a new
> > > dependency on gnome-control-center. For now, I plan to do the applying
> > > part. UI will come later.
> >
> > At a first glace this seems right. Just calibration and device profile
> > selection highly depends each on the other. One monitor profile may be
> > completely useless with not belonging calibration settings. Therefore some
> > profilers pack the VCGT (VideoCardGammaTable) tag into the profile itself.
> > But thats not enough.
>
> That is a start, which is still missing right now.

What does you refer to with the word 'start'? The stuff added to Gnome?
Work in this direction is done long time already in Oyranos. As a Co
author of the ICC in X spec and Oyranos, this makes no wonder.

What does you think about switching this discussion to the OpenICC email
list? I think there are more people concered in operating systems and
colour management.

> > In the long run such stuff would be less work do be programmed once and
> > consistence across desktops to make colour management for Linux (or
> > more specifically for X11), and not just Gnome. The spot should be on the
> > user of a computer, even if it seems harder to go beyond a operating
> > system. As a analogy, after switching the desktop I would expect to use
> > the same Xorg or printer configurations.
>
> Except that people are not switching desktop as they are switching
> applications.

What has switching desktops to do with switching of applications?
A user expects consistence and ease of use. This includes settings across
desktops. The need for a user to set in KDE other than Gnome is
complicated and a waste of time and resources. Please dont take me wrong;
Gnome and KDE should expose a common structured CM tab in eaches
configuration panel. To have such a tab a common logic or common device
settings database is needed.
What do you plan to other desktops in Mandriva than Gnome?

> Moreover, taking Xorg or printer configuration as a example is not
> really pertinent. Almost all desktop-neutral and non-distribution
> configuration software for these points have failed (if they ever
> existed) and are handled mostly by distributions (I have
> a good experience of this at Mandriva). I don't want the same thing
> for color management support.

Well, I can not speak about print or X configuration. But for Oyranos, is
works on all tested desktops for _ICC_PROFILE and vcgt setup. Whats the
problem with such functionality?

But this is an other pice of short argument. So would you mind in
elaborating in naming the differences of the examples (CM/Xorg/printing)
or why "desktop-neutral and non-distribution configuration software for
these points" have failed. If Xorg and CM is not comparable why do you
expect the same to CM? You might understand, as I work on this CM stuff I
would like to know about general hard to resolve proplems in more detail.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management