[argyllcms] Re: CC Profiles In X Specification and dispwin

  • From: Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:20:09 +0100 (CET)

Am 12.01.08, 14:14 +0100 schrieb Frédéric Crozat:
> On Jan 12, 2008 12:35 PM, Lars Tore Gustavsen <lars.tore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 2008 11:09 AM, Frédéric Crozat <> wrote:
> > > I have plans to integrate the xicc and LUT calibration data loading
> > > into GNOME directly (into gnome-settings-daemon).
> > >

> > That sound nice.
> > I wonder if have you looked at oyranos?
>
> No.  applying LUT and a X atom is not something worth adding a new
> dependency on gnome-control-center. For now, I plan to do the applying
> part. UI will come later.

At a first glace this seems right. Just calibration and device profile
selection highly depends each on the other. One monitor profile may be
completely useless with not belonging calibration settings. Therefore some
profilers pack the VCGT (VideoCardGammaTable) tag into the profile itself.
But thats not enough.

In the long run such stuff would be less work do be programmed once and
consistence across desktops to make colour management for Linux (or
more specifically for X11), and not just Gnome. The spot should be on the
user of a computer, even if it seems harder to go beyond a operating
system. As a analogy, after switching the desktop I would expect to use
the same Xorg or printer configurations.

If you'd like to work on the logic and a UI including all desktops, the
CMS library Oyranos might be a good place.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management