[argyllcms] Re: Black turning down problem (the -r trick)

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:26:14 +1100

Elena [service address] wrote:
Yes I know... I meant computing B2A tables in function of a virtually
smoothed A2B table (virtually = smoothed only at search-time, using an
incraesed tolerancy).

There is no such thing as "virtually" smoothed - the smoothing parameters
are used in the construction of the A2B cLUT. Some sort
of separate smoothing can't be applied when the tables are being
read, because they are actually being analytically inverted in
creating the B2A. So to implement such a feature would mean actually
creating 3 A2B tables (3 x the execution time there), and wiring the
B2A table construction to access the three different A2B tables
rather than one. The B2A table lookups get some speedup from caching
the inverse lookup calculation values and creating the three tables
simultaneously - this would be lost with three separate A2B tables.

So I don't think this is a good direction to go in. Fixing the underlying
problem is probably a better use of time and effort.