[argyllcms] Re: Black turning down problem (the -r trick)

  • From: Elena [service address] <1007140@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:12:28 +0100

Hello Graeme

On 17-Jan-2011, Graeme Gill wrote:

> One of the "tricks" with creating multi-dimensional grid interpolations
> is to try and create per channel input and output curves so as to
> minimize the discontinuities created at grid points due to the linear
> nature of the interpolation within the grid points. If the per channel
> curves can make the device characteristic look smoother, then artefacts
> due to the cLUT interpolation will be less.

With this regard, what about calibrating the device to the per-channel curves ?
I try to explain better. Frankly I never used the calibration capability of
argyll since (for too technical reasons) I have to make the channels calibration
for every paper at a very low level stage with proprietary methods, it's
something
very precise and difficult, however the target I always aimed so far is for
linear density.
I always wondered, if I chosed as calibration goal having linear per-channel
profile curves, could it improve results, or even just being more sensate ?
It's no problem for me to iterate my calibration process until obtaining
linear per-channel curves rather than a linear per channel density response, if
that would lead to better results for the profiler.

/&