[argyllcms] Re: Absolute colorimetric - dark saturated colours excessively light

  • From: Graeme Gill <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2006 13:01:48 +1100

Gerhard Fuernkranz wrote:

Yes, I'm talking about Absolute Colorimetric. I was under the

And the remapping of out-of-gamut colors is rather an issue of art. As I said, the ICC spec doesn't tell, _how_ exactly it must be done; it is implementation dependent. Graeme has chosen to clip to the nearest color in CIELAB or CIECAMxx space (-> lowest color difference). You cannot say, it's right or wrong - but of course you may like it or not (as you may like or dislike a painting or another work of art). But I do agree with you, that I subjectively find the out-of-gamut clipping done by ISOcoated.icc and ISOnewspaper.icc more pleasing. This applies particularly to small printer gamuts with a high black point.

Some of the literature recommends doing gamut clipping in a manner that weighs the luminance errors twice as highly as hue and saturation. Unfortunately, I have not allowed for such a weighting factor in the clipping code. It might be possible to add, but it would be some little work, as it would essentially have to be done by adding a value scaling factor to the rspl code (since the internals is too tightly tied to the 3D/4D geometry.)