[arachne] Re: Small non-lethal attachments - Was: Re: AWFUL CLOSE BUT STILL NO DAMN CIGAR

  • From: Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arachne@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 22:08:13 -0600 (CST)

Eric,
 I'm not sure, but I think the bounces the Wiz was talking about
were coming from the 'email service provider' not the recipients
themselves. I have one such email service, no attachments, 1 Meg
storage, and no messages over, I think it's, 400k. It's limited
but good backup for simple text messages with close friends.
If I'm not mistaken, there may be listers that didn't get to see
those posts. I really wasn't trying to imply that anyone was
being discourteous, or anything like that.
Rob
--
     -------------Pine Email - Powered by NetBSD-------------

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Hi Rob,
                I, too, am on dialup. I also don't
particularly like large attachments when
I'm not expecting them. I'm running a 14.4
modem on my Arachne computer and it takes
a while to download e-mail. Wiz, has been
gracious to provide this list and I appreciate
his kindness. I certainly don't want to over
stress him with monitoring duties.
    On the other hand, I have been on and off
and on an Arachne list for 8-10 yrs now and
it has mostly been a very well behaved list
where the members have been considerate
of others on the list. We have all made occasional
mistakes but we are usually well behaved.
The Arachne list is the only list that I have
been on that I can give that commendation.
It just seems rude to me for someone to
signup on a list and then bounce their e-mails
back at the list/list moderator just because
they don't want attachments. I think we all
are aware of the risks of attachments and
know how to deal with them properly. My
e-mail puts questionable e-mails into a
slop bucket but it doesn't rudely on their
whim send them back to clog up other
peoples computers and mailboxes.
At least, no one has complained about
my email being spit back at them. If I were
a moderator of a list, I would be very tempted
to remove any address from the list if
I kept getting e-mails bounced back at me
from that address. Of course, I would first
send a warning to that address so that
a correction could be made if possible.
But, then again, maybe there is something
that I don't understand about why it is
necessary to bounce e-mails back at
the list moderator.

Eric

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 15:44:19 -0600 (CST) Rob <robo13@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Eric,
  On most of the email lists I'm on, attachments are a big 'no no'.
Most of them strip any attachments before the email even gets posted.
Also I've been aggravated by some rather large attachments sent to
the Arachne lists in the past, I'm on dialup. I especially don't
like receiving binary attachments, because they can hide malware.
I'm on quite a few mailing lists, and just about every one of them
it's either required, or just considered proper Netiquette for posts
to be in text, and NO attachments.
Rob
--
     -------------Pine Email - Powered by NetBSD-------------

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Eric S. Emerson wrote:

Hi Wiz,
       Sorry, we aren't intentionally causing
you grief.  When did this attachement problem
start and why. People have been sending
attachments on the list as long as I can
remember. There is much good info and files
I would have missed if someone had sent it
personally instead of as an attachment to
the list. Doesn't that kind of diminish
the usefulness of the list? I'm not trying
to cause any trouble...just asking a
question. :-)

Eric

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 10:22:39 -0600, Glenn Gilbreath Jr. wrote:

PLEASE!!  Have mercy on poor old Wiz!
NO ATTACHMENTS TO MAIL TO THE LIST...
"Cut 'n paste" using some clipboard utility
the text you desire to send, but PLEASE...no
file attachments.  There are several members
whose email services block all attachments,
and guess what?  The "bounce message"
notifications are then sent to me, complete
with copies of the file(s), and I have to wade
through them.  If a member offers to help with
a particular file problem, get their personal
email and send it only to them.
TIA!
Wiz  <{;-)
At 11/22/06 1:21:00 AM, you wrote:

Many thanks to Glenn, Eric, Ray and others for suggestions for
getting
Arachne
going at the Vancouver Free Net.  Ray very helpfully gave me his
complete
former configuration for VCN.  However, a few things have
changed at VCN in

the meantime.  I did managed to log on their to the extent of
getting my
non-
existent mail, but could not move on to a URL.

After an abortive trial of Ray's script on A173, I moved on and
did
everything
else on my recently totally re-configured A190.

Glenn's solution did not quite work either although it was quite
similar to

the basic core of Ray's solution.

Ultimately I tried each alone and each with elements of the
other, and I
always managed to get to a dial screen  and dial with Arachne
protesting.

I always wound up getting the following message:

No IP address was found in PPP dialer log file or no packet
driver was
loaded.
Possible reasons:
Hardware fault (modem busy or disconnected phone line etc.)
Authentication failed due to invalid username and password.
Bad authentication scheme (PAP, CHAP or login script)
There is no connection to internet now.

See Arachne documentation for more info.
RETRY NOW   PPPDIALER  SETUP PPP.
Checking after each trial: modem and phone were ok;  username
and password
were ok;  PPP dialer log file was ok and contained the correct
IP address..
There may well be a problem with Pap, Chap, or login script.

To prevent any possibility of a fractured script, I am enclosing
my two
best
trial Arachne.CFG's in a zip file called A190RAGL.ZIP.

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Wizard57M
http://www.geocities.com/wizard57m/index.html

-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://arachne.cz/