[HG-PBEM] Re: In the Sand Stone

  • From: "John Guilfoyle" <john.guilfoyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 09:15:38 -0700

> The smell of smoke pervaded the ambience of the bar. Juliette=20
> shifted in her=20
> seat as the man across from her scanned her resume on his=20
> Hermes pad. His=20
> name was Diego Augusta, also known as Chico. She'd hooked up with him=20
> through some underground connections that she used when she=20
> had entered=20
> the Core a week ago. Now, she sat across from the handsome=20
> man, soliciting for=20
> employment.=20
>=20
> A waitress interupted and served them their drinks. Chico=20
> took his stein of=20
> lager to mouth and swallowed heavily. "Hmm," he grunted,=20
> putting down his=20
> drink, "I see you haven't had much dueling experience.=20
> However, you have an=20
> impressive military background, " he raised his eyes to look=20
> up at Juliette as he=20
> spoke, "including what looks like an interesting end to a=20
> promising career in the=20
> MILCIA?" He smiled and winked at the woman. "Sorry, I tend to=20
> read between the lines; its a force of habit in my line of work."

Juliette looked back at the man with some amount of flint in her green =
eyes.
She wasn't here by choice; eeking out a living in the Badlands had =
turned
out to be a lot more challenging than she'd been led to believe. Out of
money and out of options, she'd decided to put her piloting skills to =
use.
Two cycles ago joining some low-rent racing team to pay her bills would =
have
seemed laughable. Now it was a harsh reality -- if she even managed to =
land
the job.

"I was never in the MILICIA," she finally answered, inflecting the last =
word
so that there was no question regarding her opinion of the AST war =
machine.
"I commanded a cadre of gears in the Southern Republican Army. There was =
an
accident, and I was responsible -- so now I'm here." Lemanz wasn't good =
at
this sort of negotiation, and it showed. "I've been trained by the best =
gear
instructors in the south and I've been a part of the planet's most =
powerful
military. I don't have much dueling experience, but I think you'll find =
can handle myself in gear combat -- and racing. Note my ratings on the =
speed
and agility courses at the academy."