[HG-PBEM] Re: In the Sand Stone

  • From: "Dennis D. Kirkpatrick" <dkirkpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <apaworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 10:47:59 -0700 (MST)

> "I was never in the MILICIA," she finally answered, inflecting the last
> word so that there was no question regarding her opinion of the AST war
> machine. "I commanded a cadre of gears in the Southern Republican Army.
> There was an accident, and I was responsible -- so now I'm here." Lemanz
> wasn't good at this sort of negotiation, and it showed. "I've been
> trained by the best gear instructors in the south and I've been a part
> of the planet's most powerful military. I don't have much dueling
> experience, but I think you'll find I can handle myself in gear combat
> -- and racing. Note my ratings on the speed and agility courses at the
> academy."

"Ah, right. You are correct it was the Southern Republican Army,... even
worse," Chico acknowledged, a broad, devilish grin creasing his face.

[...]

Chico held up his hands in apology. "However, you are also correct that
you are clearly well-trained and very talented," Chico back-peddled
nonchalantly. "I definitely think that you have what it takes. I wouldn't
be here if I thought otherwise. Plus, the fact that you can supply your
own gear adds to your favor."

Chico picked up his beer and swallowed again. "So, do you have any
questions up front before we finalize a verbal contract?"