[amc] a note form the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:42:24 -0600

I pray you are comfortable and living with peacefulness.

Often we struggle to understand how God is engaged in the disruptive
conditions that humans construct.  We easily become frustrated and
acknowledge our confusion in our prayers and other conversations with God.
And whenever we realize that valued traditions often perpetuate hatred and
violence between groups of persons our dismay multiplies.  Our greatest
challenge in this predicament seems to be recognizing what kinds of things
we have capacity to improve and what things we must leave alone to the
supervision of God in the mysterious divine initiative of sustaining the
creation and guiding it toward perfection.  Although it is uncomfortable and
a bit scary, going back to evaluate the substance of the foundations which
define our beliefs and value systems can be a healthy and even profoundly
significant exercise.  This practice can help clarify the meaning of
tradition and history thus giving us a new perspective on how God's seems to
be guiding us.  Simply making this observation however is not enough.  We
must find a way to incorporate what we have perceived into the practice of
our faith.  Recognizing the difference in the 'bearer of truth' and the
truth itself helps us make this transition.  These thoughts will compose the
sermon for this next Sunday, 'Distinguishing myth from truth.'

May it go well with you.
Sincerely,