[amc] a note form the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:39:16 -0600

I pray you are comforted and reassured along your journey of faith.

Wonder about what lies ahead comes to us naturally.  We look into the future
as though we are peering along a pathway in front of us.  We see the crest
of another hill or a curve in the road ahead.  Instinctively we want to be
prepared for what awaits us, either to respond with joy and gratitude or to
get ready for changes and surprises that will break suddenly into our
experience.  Knowing what the future holds has always been regarded as a
remarkable, highly desirable capability.  In Matthew 6:25-30, Jesus talks
with his disciples about a way to manage uncertainties associated with our
future.  However, he does not give us the answers we most desire to hear.
There is no specific description of what our life will be like; no informed
suggestion for how we can plan now for some particular event.  And yet there
is unmistakable wisdom in his counsel; advice that not only preserves
adventure and discovery for us but also ensures that we will be adequately
positioned to receive whatever might be next for us.  Jesus seems to believe
that wisdom will be better for us than knowledge.  These thoughts will
compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'Uncompromised trust in kingdom
values.'