[amc] a note form the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:23:14 -0600

I pray you are finding an inner sense of stability and assurance as you observe and feel the winds of change sweeping across the earth.

In a world characterized by mass-oriented agendas it sometimes seems like individuals become hidden by the application of processes intended to generate public responses. Many approaches promoted to manage issues challenging the nations of the world appear to be fashioned to produce common behaviors. Many persons have a sense that information filtered down to the people by governments and businesses is carefully crafted in order to solicit a predetermined response, an action that discourages and even prevents persons from critically analyzing a situation following exposure to all factors that describe and explain the history of the context. All of us have felt uneasy in making some decisions because we do not have access to everything that can be known about an issue. So we must choose whose opinion we will trust, what piece of information we will use to base our decision upon. As a result of this condition we may begin to believe that we are only an insignificant unseen unimportant presence in the mysterious processes that control the affairs of the world. There are two dangers in this conception: one is that we take it too seriously, and the other is that we do not take it seriously enough. The scriptures before us today help us to find and honor our rightful place in the earth.

I The scriptures we will consider tomorrow are Isaiah 49:8-16a; Matthew 6:24-34; and 1 Corinthians 4:1-5. Thoughts prompted by these passages will inspire the sermon, 'You are not lost.'

The Announcements follow below and the Worship Schedule for March 2011 is both copied below and attached.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Refreshments for February:  Angela

_ _

*Adult Study Groups *We have available two Sunday morning study groups that persons may choose to participate in. The Open Forum Group meets in Annex 1, and the Sanctuary Group meets in back of the main building auditorium. Both groups convene at 9:30a for an hour of discussion together.

* *

*Thursday, March 3 *The Men of the Church will meet for breakfast, 7a, Jim's Restaurant, NW of the intersection of Hwy 183 and Burnet Road.

*Sunday, March 6 *The community will celebrate Communion during the Worship Service and share our common meal together afterward.

*Sunday, March 6 ** *The Working group for the National Assembly to Honor Freedom of Conscience will meet, 12:30p, at the church.

*Sunday, March 13 *Contemplative Prayer Group, discussion, prayer. 1-2:30p, Austin Mennonite Church.

*Sunday, March 13 *The Men's Fellowship will meet in the home of Bob Koehn, 7809 Cheno Cortina Trail (SW Austin), 6p. **