[amc] Re: FW: Letters of Support Re: Hyattsville Mennonite Church

  • From: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 23:20:15 -0600

My main point is that if we as individuals and/or a congregation decide to support other congregations that welcome gays and lesbians as full members, we should have a clear idea of why we are taking such a stand beyond "it seems right" or even a vague sense that "I think Jesus would approve." Even more, if we take a stronger stand by publicly declaring ourselves to be a "welcoming church," we and Garland may face serious consequences, and we should be able to give a clear and well-considered account to the Mennonite Church USA why we are taking this stand. It seems absolutely reasonable to me that a national organization be able to establish criteria for affiliation with that organization, especially if these criteria are established through a democratic/representative process which self-consciously seeks guidance from the Spirit. I think they have the right to question whether congregations who openly violate the principles of the national organization should remain affiliated with it. If not, what can such affiliation mean? Should the national organization just let any group sign up as an affiliate of Mennonite Church USA, no matter what they believe? On the other hand, the national organization should listen with sensitivity to minority views as well, always open to the possibility that the majority may be wrong. It's a difficult problem.

OK. I'm rambling; back to the point. I think Mennonite Church USA has the right to question whether "welcoming churches" should remain affiliated with them, and if we support such churches or become one, I think we owe the national organization an explanation as a matter of conscience and integrity.

And it is a matter of whether homosexuality is a sin. If it is a sin, then the Church must say so and decide what to do about it. Did Jesus actually condone sin? I don't think so. He said to the woman, "Go and sin no more." He didn't say, "Sin is fine with me. Don't worry about it." The lesson I take from Jesus is that we stand with the sinner as he or she seeks restoration and redemption. This means that all of us are standing with one another all the time in a continuous act of restoration and redemption because all of us are sinning all of the time. (Maybe that's a bit extreme, but that's the way it seems to me most of the time.)

If homosexuality is a sin, then it seems to me our position should be: sin is tough; let's work this out together. Join with the rest of us sinners as we help each other work through our own stuff.

This is a different type of "welcoming" than saying: homosexuality is not a sin, and you have no need to be redeemed from this condition. I suspect the national organization would be happier with the first view that with the second.

In the interest of complete disclosure, I don't consider homosexuality to be a sin, and I think homosexuals have nothing to be forgiven for on this score. I also think, however, that this is a difficult position to defend scripturally. My suspicion is that those who claim that scripture does not treat homosexuality as a sin have to resort to a lot of rather fancy footwork and very careful "analysis" of particular passages. Personally, I would "defend" it through a rather skeptical and deconstructive theological view that leaves most of Christian theology in smoking ruins. So, my view will not be much help toward dealing with the conference.

Nevitt

On Mar 3, 2006, at 6:27 PM, Ray Gingerich wrote:

Friends,

While Nevitt suggests that Jesus didn't give any teaching on homosexuality, it seems to me that, if we hold Jesus as our ethical teacher and model, Jesus is still the place to start in our deciding whether to 1) support the Hyattsville congregation (or remain silent, or support the Allegany conference), and 2) if to support, how to support them.

And, it it seems to me that there are at least a couple of ethical questions for us: 1) How do we stand on the issue of gay-lesbian membership in our own congregation--is this a decided issue or not, and 2) if we feel a congregation is being unfairly disciplined by a conference, how do we respond.

If our congregation is going to grapple with this issue, there has already been a lot of work done. I refer you to:

http://www.welcome-committee.org/index.html

Back to Nevitt's opening comments on this, I find it interesting that some in the church would impose discipline in ref. to a matter where Jesus' teaching and example is unclear and yet is silent on issues where Jesus' teaching and example is very clear. I don't really think it is a matter of what is sin or not sin, but a matter of fear for some people.

Ray