[amc] Re: FW: Letters of Support Re: Hyattsville Mennonite Church

  • From: "Ray Gingerich" <RGingerich@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 18:27:58 -0600

Friends,

While Nevitt suggests that Jesus didn't give any teaching on homosexuality, it
seems to me that, if we hold Jesus as our ethical teacher and model, Jesus is
still the place to start in our deciding whether to 1) support the Hyattsville
congregation (or remain silent, or support the Allegany conference), and 2) if
to support, how to support them.

And, it it seems to me that there are at least a couple of ethical questions
for us: 1) How do we stand on the issue of gay-lesbian membership in our own
congregation--is this a decided issue or not, and 2) if we feel a congregation
is being unfairly disciplined by a conference, how do we respond.

If our congregation is going to grapple with this issue, there has already been
a lot of work done. I refer you to:

http://www.welcome-committee.org/index.html

Back to Nevitt's opening comments on this, I find it interesting that some in
the church would impose discipline in ref. to a matter where Jesus' teaching
and example is unclear and yet is silent on issues where Jesus' teaching and
example is very clear. I don't really think it is a matter of what is sin or
not sin, but a matter of fear for some people.

Ray