[amc] Re: FW: Letters of Support Re: Hyattsville Mennonite Church

  • From: Steve Friesen <Friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Nevitt D. Reesor" <reesor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:53:20 -0600

Thanks for those observations, Nevitt.  I'll just add a quick comment (have
to get ready for church :-)

>  I also think, however, that this is a
> difficult position to defend scripturally. My suspicion is that those
> who claim that scripture does not treat homosexuality as a sin have
> to resort to a lot of rather fancy footwork and very careful
> "analysis" of particular passages. Personally, I would "defend" it
> through a rather skeptical and deconstructive theological view that
> leaves most of Christian theology in smoking ruins. So, my view will
> not be much help toward dealing with the conference.

People often describe a welcoming theology as "not taking the bible
literally" or "explaining the bible away".  I don't think that's accurate.
Everyone selects; everyone has to choose.  It's the nature of the game.

Biblical arguments against homosexuality tend to select passages about
homosexuality and take those passages literally.  But they usually don't
take others literally: ban on pork, ban on images of God, what to do when
there's mold in your house, women covering their heads in worship, only men
teaching men, approval of slavery, polygamy, etc.  So the question is, *how*
do you take the bible seriously?  Where do you put your focus?  And *how* do
you decide where to put your focus?

Mennonites have a mixed track record on this score.  We have a brilliant
record on things like focusing on compassion, and on community discernment
in the spirit.  At the same time we have a dismal record in our tendency to
define particular clothing or tools as worldly or righteous.

That doesn't answer the question, does it?  At least it ssuggests that we
need lots of community discussion on issues like this in order to work out
an appropriate position.

My opinion: I think that because of what we've learned from science and
other kinds of research, we should say that we Christians were wrong to call
homosexuality a sin and repent from the oppression we have caused.  I think
it's appropriate now to hold that the biblical ideals of faithfulness apply
to both straights and gays.  I have also experienced that this kind of
affirming congregational stance brings lots of rich resources into the
church.  Exclusion makes us weaker.

Steve