[amayausers] Re: Bobbin Tension ??

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:48:54 -0400

Sounds like there is a definite difference between using plastic and
cardboard bobbins! We get tons of lint in the bobbin holders-and clean out
gunk about every 2-3 bobbins. I wonder if some of it may be caused by static
electricity as the bobbins run? Your plastic bobbin may be creating a
'negative' static charge that repels the lint-while  cardboard creates a
'positive' that attracts it!
I adjust the bobbin so it won't drop on its own-have to 'jiggle' it more
than snap it-so it will slowly fall a couple inches and then stop. Course,
with my big hands-a jiggle to me might be a snap to you!
I know we found right off that if it doesn't drop at all we get bobbin
breaks (false) consistently, if it rolls right down to the floor we get
horrible looping on top. Magnetic bobbins did stop that-but we're
cheap-can't afford them on everything. Heard about 'no sided' bobbins but
can easily see that causing problems just sitting in the box!
It definitely is a very fine juggling to get the sewing right-between bobbin
tension, density, etc. Not doing the same thing over and over makes it
harder to set a constant standard for everything. What works on polos
yesterday won't work on hats today, etc.
Actually yesterday I had run the logo on a couple hats after I digitized
it-ran perfect, looked great! And then went to sew the shirts that was the
actual order-and that was a disaster. Spent another hour and a half tweaking
the design to work just for 4 shirts. Had figured (as I'd been told in
training) that if you set up a design for hats-it would work great on
shirts!   it didn't....this time!
But if the customer DOES want it on hats in the future- I have it all done
perfectly!
Roland