[amayausers] Re: Bobbin Tension ??

  • From: "Ed Orantes" <e3m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:47:24 -0500

Oooh, oooh, let me, let me!!!
Terri,
I agree with everything Herb and Roland said.  Very well put.
My turn...
I use this analogy when describing top thread tensions to my customers (I'm
a tech) who are running the older conventional machines.  However I think it
applies to bobbin tension as well.
Imagine for a moment that you are hand embroidering with a needle and
thread.  After you pass the needle through the fabric to make one complete
stitch, how tight are you going to pull on the thread to finish that
stitch???  Pull too tight and you run the risk of tight stitches, puckered
fabric, stretched thread and possibly thread breaks, etc...   Don't pull
tight enough and you wind up with looping threads in your embroidery.
In short, you want just enough of a gentle drag on the bobbin thread/tension
to pull the slack out of the top thread and through whatever type of fabric
you are sewing on.  And remember, the Amaya doesn't have top thread tension
to counter act against.  The Amaya spits out thread and the bobbin tension
is supposed to take up the slack in that thread under the fabric.
***Always set your bobbin tension with the bobbin thread NOT in the pig tail
spring and ALWAYS make sure it's clean!!!  Just the basics.

Hope this gives a different perspective on the subject.
Ed Orantes
Amaya, EMT, & EMC Tech
New Orleans, La. ?