[access-uk] Re: lakelands catalogue

  • From: "Tink Watson" <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:01:51 +0100

Derek,

        "I have called the DRC  help line.
The suggested i email Lakeland again, but this time to just ask for their
reasons not to offer Braille version of catalogue."

        Good idea. If you know their reasons it may make an agreeable
solution more apparent.

        "Remember, just because  a website is accessible to the majority,
doesn't mean it's accessible to all!"

        If a web site isn't accessible to everybody with the necessary tools
and skills, then it isn't accessible at all. The term accessible isn't
disability specific.

        "You need to take into account everyone's abilities are nto same,
everyone's knowledge of how to use a website not same, everyone's computer
set up not same, and so on."

        These are important considerations, but they are nothing to do with
accessibility and nothing to do with the disability legislation.

        A person's abilities and knowledge of using a computer can be
improved through practice and experience, this is not something a service
provider has a responsibility to ensure, any more than they have a
responsibility to ensure that a person can read or write properly.

        Although people do use different computer setups, including many
kinds of assistive technology, if the site has been designed to be fully
accessible, the niceties of individual setups should make no difference at
all.

        Of course, it's entirely another matter as to whether Lakeland's new
web site will be fully accessible to everybody or not. *Smile.

        Keep talking to Lakeland though. If they've come this far then with
the right approach there must be a good chance they'll be willing to go a
little further. I'm sure you've already done this, but advising them where
to go to get a Braille copy printed may be helpful, or perhaps pointing them
at some of the transcription services.

        It might be worth asking for an electronic version of the print
catalogue, or an offline copy of the web site. Although, if you were wanting
a solution that was separate from the computer, this wouldn't be ideal.

Tink.

>       Some points which might help you understand the law. For reference,
>the relevant part of the DDA can be read here:
>http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1995/95050--c.htm#19

I have called the DRC  help line.
The suggested i email Lakeland again, but this time to just ask for their
reasons not to offer Braille version of catalogue.
The reaosns need to be more clear I was told.
Remember, just because  a website is accessible to the majority, doesn't
mean it's accessible to all!

You need to take into account everyone's abilities are nto same, everyone's
knowledge of how to use a website not same, everyone's computer set up not
same, and so on.
Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx