[access-uk] Re: Tesco.com/access order history

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:00:59 +0100

Hi Derek,

I don't think the two are the same.  A simple question that is simple to
answer, is OK.  But if Carol, by her own admission, has no conceptual notion
of tables, then I believe a little training is involved.  So me just
outlining the steps to book a delivery slot, in this case, is not enough, as
Carol would then need training in effective use of tables in JAWS in
general.  I think you need some conceptual working knowledge of how to
traverse a table with rows and columns, before you can book a delivery slot.
Basically, you do it by going across to the day you want, then going down
the rows, to find the link that gives you the price, then reading the title
of the row you are in.  This is different in JAWS, in Window-Eyes, and in
Hal.  And to be honest, if I wrote it for Window-Eyes, people would then
want it for JAWS, and Hal, and I simply don't have the time to write it up
for all three screen readers.

But let me say, get better acquainted with table navigation mode in whatever
screen reader you have, and you will master this relatively simple task.
Let me also say, to answer one of Ray's points, that I believe I am the only
small company in the industry to do telephone training on specific issues
like this, and I don't believe 10 pounds per hour plus VAT is expensive for
assistance with that kind of thing.  I also agree with Ray regarding TAFN,
that is another good place to get knowledge like this.

All the best
Telephone Low-call:  08452 606 277
International:  +44(0)1438 742286,
Fax:  +44(0)1438 759589