[argyllcms] Re: relativ volume of gamut -- vrml comparison?

  • From: Gerhard Fuernkranz <nospam456@xxxxxx>
  • To: argyllcms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 00:31:12 +0100

Preben Soeberg wrote:
> Can AdobeRGB expand the camera's gamut?
> Can somebody explain what happens?
>
> timage -t -x -s timage_txs.tif
>
> Gamut for the camera profile:
> tiffgamut -v 6071_F.icc timage_txs.tif
> Total volume of gamut is 1062744.608376 cubic colorspace units

Before talking about your particular numbers, IMO the basic question is,
what's your understanding of a "camera's gamut"? How do you define the
gamut of an _input device_, like a camera or scanner?

Please find below a citation from a discussion in the newsgroup
sci.engr.color, with a statement from me and Graeme regarding this issue.

Regards,
Gerhard