[ZeroBrane Studio] Re: Search redesign for ZBS

  • From: Derek Bailey <dbaileychess@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: zerobrane <zerobrane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 10:21:47 -0700

Paul,

I have a question about configurable number of context lines: would
> you like more or fewer of them? I thought 2 lines is a good default
> value...

  For context lines, I think 2 is a good default, but you never know what
people are searching for, so I think making it configurable would be ideal.
Could you make it asymmetric as well?

search.contextlinesbefore = 2
search.contextlinesafter = 2

I'm not convinced multiple tabs with search results will be useful
> enough to warrant the related confusion. I'll probably keep a single
> tab (you can always copy the results if you want to save the content)
> and will give some time to gather feedback.

  The issue I have with copying the results, if you create a new editor, it
names the tab 'untitled.lua', which automatically turns on syntax
highlighting which gives odd results for the pasted material. Also, the
code folding is completely broken when you copied the results to a new
editor; it doesn't preserve the file-by-file folding at all.

  Also, you lose the context of the term you searched. Perhaps you could
put the search term at the bottom of the search results window:

  Searched for: "c[a]t"
  Found 5 instance(s) on 3 line(s) in 2 file(s).

In terms of the split tabs, I'll probably keep it as is, but if you
> split it yourself, I'll make it to remember the position of the tab
> and will restore the split. This will be added at the same time when
> the settings are going to be saved.

  Is there a way to add the Search Results window to the View menubar menu,
so we can toggle it on and off with a keyboard shortcut?

Take Care,

    Derek