[yunqa.de] Re: SQLiteSpy: reload extensions on restart | Keep editor open

  • From: "Tom Holden" <ve3meo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 22:04:27 -0500

I just ran a comparative test run against the same database:

SQLiteSpy: 359s to results. 2-3s to sort results. Near instantaneous jump end-to-end OtherSQL: 37s to 1st of at least 512 results; 37s to next batch; 114s end-end. Cannot sort because ORDER BY already used in query

Spy reported:
248339 returned
Steps: 1491687
Sorts: 2
AutoIdx: 1662
Spy used almost 300,000kB RAM.

In this case, I think Spy actually wins, even though it is slower to initial results. If inspection of results is the objective, then its ability to speedily navigate and sort is way ahead.

However, I have seen Spy appear to come to a halt while Other has trucked on to the end - just can't replicate it at the moment.

Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Delphi Inspiration
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:22 AM
To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [yunqa.de] Re: SQLiteSpy: reload extensions on restart | Keep editor open

On 19.12.2011 16:18, Tom Holden wrote:

for heavy intermediate or final result sets that bog Spy down, I turn to
others that have some sort of sliding buffer but, for smaller sets,
Spy's all-in-memory approach and display is faster and more convenient.

SQLiteSpy uses a similar sliding buffer for full table displays. This
mode is enabled automatically if you double-click a table icon in the
schema tree-view.

I wondered myself if sliding windows can be applied to SELECTs and
VIEWs. However, the way SQLite retrieves data (forward scrolling only)
requires to step through the result dataset at least once to determine
the number of records available (the internal SQL count(*) function does
so as well). So while doing this, SQLiteSpy stores the records in memory
which usually adds very little only to the time it already takes to
retrieve the records for counting.

How big are your result sets which cause SQLiteSpy to slow down?