[yunqa.de] Re: SQLiteSpy: reload extensions on restart | Keep editor open

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 15:59:19 +0100

Your test nicely points out the pros and cons of the various approaches.
I believe that Other blocks the database while you inspect the data?
SQLiteSpy does not block, except when running the SELECT query or
reading the currently displayed records in a TABLE display.

When I first developed SQLiteSpy, most Others (I tested various) were
not capable of displaying some 250000 records. It was argued that SQL
viewers were not meant to display such large number or records. Instead,
users were asked to limit the number of matching records.

Again, there are pros and cons to this approach. But it is certainly
awkward to browser through 250000 records, even though SQLiteSpy's
incremental search makes this somewhat easier.

An idea to bring together both worlds could be to display at first a
limited number of records only (use customizable). Users could then
request (all) remaining records if necessary. However, the database
would have to be blocked during the entire operation for this to handle
arbitrary SELECT queries.

Ralf