[yunqa.de] Re: SQLiteSpy: reload extensions on restart | Keep editor open

  • From: Delphi Inspiration <delphi@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: yunqa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 12:22:12 +0100

On 19.12.2011 16:18, Tom Holden wrote:

> for heavy intermediate or final result sets that bog Spy down, I turn to
> others that have some sort of sliding buffer but, for smaller sets,
> Spy's all-in-memory approach and display is faster and more convenient.

SQLiteSpy uses a similar sliding buffer for full table displays. This
mode is enabled automatically if you double-click a table icon in the
schema tree-view.

I wondered myself if sliding windows can be applied to SELECTs and
VIEWs. However, the way SQLite retrieves data (forward scrolling only)
requires to step through the result dataset at least once to determine
the number of records available (the internal SQL count(*) function does
so as well). So while doing this, SQLiteSpy stores the records in memory
which usually adds very little only to the time it already takes to
retrieve the records for counting.

How big are your result sets which cause SQLiteSpy to slow down?