[yshavurah] Re: Concern about Privacy

  • From: Stephen Scherr <sscherr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Havurah'" <yshavurah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:18:20 -0500

Folks,
   Dan is correct--anytime you use e-mail, it can be shared or forwarded
outside the original set of recipients.  There's also some (small, I
hope) risk of it being intercepted, either by someone malevolent or in
a presumably benign watchdog role.

   That being said, finding a way to make it harder for a casual user,
or web-crawler to get our information might well be a good thing.

Dan--
   Apparently Freelists is using the Listar software which has now been
superceded by the Ecartis software.  It is possible that the Ecartis
configuration variables (listed at
http://www.ecartis.org/variables.html) are also available in Listar.
The ones that look likely to me are
        file-archive-status=admin, to restrict who can access the archive files
        archive-world-readable=false, which should either set file permissions
or access permissions.

   If those aren't available, or don't work, then I think it highly
likely that we could set up a private server and restrict any webpage
access.  I'd be willing to try it, as I have a Linux server running at
home connected to my cable modem connection.

Steve