Re: [yoshimi-user] Oooo what have we here?

  • From: Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 20:19:24 +0000

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 09:17:01 +1100
cal <cal@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Will J Godfrey wrote:
[ ... ]
It had been version 1.0.16, typical eh :(
However I have now included the debian squeeze repository and upgraded
just this and nothing else - I am really flying by the seat of my pants
here !!!

Everything now compiles fine, and it certainly looks a lot cleaner.
I'll give it a good workout over the weekend and see how it goes :)

I am relieved. One of my small points of pride was eliminating pretty much
all of the multitude of #ifdef's in the original code, so I was really hoping
not to have to put one in around the alsa version. One thing I will do though
is have CMake check for alsa>=1.0.17.

There's a couple of subtle performance refinements in 055, so I do look
forward to hearing how you go with it.

cheers!

Right. I've given this a fairly good workout. Using my most aggressive
patch (Hyper Matrix) and playing chords as 4 note arpegios it starts to
break up at around 70% CPU (difficult to tell with 2 cores).
As a comparison...

Yoshi .038 60%
Zyn 2.2 50%
Zyn 2.4 40-45%
Zyn git nio 65-70%

As a final check I did a sound comparison between Zyn 2.2 and
Yoshi .055

With 'Sad Angel' I had the distinct impression Yoshi had greater
clarity. In this composition there are several instruments with a lot
of HF content. One oddity was that 'Ocarina' was quite a bit louder and
gave a greater dynamic range (it's an AddSynth voice).

With 'Lair Of The Dragon King' the sound was as far as I can tell
identical - there would have been much unhappiness if 'Overdrive' had
sounded wrong :)

Something I've just noticed.
If you load a patch set at startup (with the -l option) this is not
remembered in 'recent parameters'

Hmmm.
{thinks - wonder if I can push the boat out a bit more}

It would be quite nice if it was possible to drag-and-drop parameter
sets and individual voice patches on to an existing instance of Yoshi :)

All in all, very good work and I'm very pleased with it. Thanks muchly!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk